©2012 John Wanserski for Creative Juice LLC
Archive for the 'County Parks' Category
Photographs and slideshow copyright 2010, Creative Juice LLC
From Wisconsin Historical Marker: John Muir View
“John Muir (1838-1914), world-famous naturalist and father of the national park system, often stopped to rest and admire this view as he walked from his home in Marquette County to the University of Wisconsin. Muir loved the wilderness from which his parents carved a farm and home, first at Fountain Lake, later at Hickory Hill, about twenty miles north from here (south of Montello). When he left Hickory Hill to enroll at the University, Muir’s love for nature was matched only by his genius for mechanical contrivances varying from a device to feed the horses at any designated hour to an early rising machine which tipped the occupant out of bed at a pre-set time. After four years in Madison, Muir left one University for another, the Wisconsin University for the University of the Wilderness.” Music by Paul Ehlers, Maury Smith, Evan Wanserski and Malignant Choir.
John Muir Memorial Park
On Saturday, August 9, 2008, the Man Mound Archeological Site was rededicated by the organizations that were responsible for its preservation: the Sauk County Historical Society, the Wisconsin Archaeological Society and the Wisconsin Federation of Women’s Clubs.
“Only one effigy mound in the shape of a human being has survived nearly intact. It is located near the base of a high hill in Man Mound County Park, to the northeast of Baraboo. Probably built more than 1,000 years ago, this huge mound is in the form of a walking man who has horns or is wearing a horned headdress, such as a buffalo-horn headdress, which is characteristically worn by Native American shamans in more recent times.” From: Indian Mounds of Wisconsin by Robert A. Birmingham and Leslie E. Eisenberg, p.205.
Collins Park is a 21 acre space on the 42 acre Collins Lake three miles outside of Rosholt, Wisconsin. Early Polish settlers had passed the land to the county after a depression-era tax default. The deep cool lake in the heart of glacial moraine farm country has remained relatively free of development. This park of towering white pines, has a boat ramp, playground, beach and picnic lodge. The 27 campsites all have electrical hookups.
Pier Natural Bridge Park is in Richland County near the village of Rockbridge. The Pier family donated the land for the Park in the 1920s. The West Branch of the Pine River flows under a 60 foot high sandstone ridge here to join the Pine River. An historical marker notes that on the night of July 29, 1832, during the Black Hawk War, General Atkinson’s troops camped at this location.
Timm’s Hill is the highest point in the State of Wisconsin at an elevation of 1951.5 feet. This Price County Park near Ogema, Wisconsin has 220 heavily forested acres. The Hill is surrounded by three small but spectacular glacial lakes where you can swim and fish. The 10 mile Timm’s Hill Trail is open year round for hiking, mountain biking, skiing and snowshoeing. It connects to the Ice Age Trail.